Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Henna



For those of you who aren't familiar with Henna, I know you are probably thinking what in the world is this green mess!!!  Yes it is a mess and it smells a mess as well.  Henna is a flowering plant used to naturally dye skin, hair, fingernails, leather and wool.  The name Henna is also used for dye preparations derived from the plant, and for the art of temporary tattooing based on those dyes.  Sometimes the name is misused for other skin and hair dyes, such as black henna or neutral henna, which are not derived from the plant.  These dyes contain other chemicals and are not completely natural.  Henna has been used as a cosmetic hair dye for over 6,000 years.  The dye inside this plant produces a red/brown stain on skin and various hues of red on hair. Henna will not lighten your hair; in fact your hair will appear darker with the exception of some red.  Henna is not only good for dying the hair, it can also be used as a conditioner or a treatment similar to a protein treatment.  Henna dye penetrates the hair shaft, binding with the keratin in the hair.  This makes the hair stronger and it also makes it really hard to rinse out.  I had to wash my hair 3 times with a clarifying shampoo.  Henna coats the hair and fills in rough spots of frayed cuticles.  This adds a second layer of strength, but it does not lock out moisture.  It makes the hair appear smoother and shinier.  Over time henna will begin to loosen your curl pattern, giving you stretched out hair.  At least that’s what I’m hoping.  









Henna is very easy to mix, just add water and oil (optional).  Some people add conditioner, extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), or honey.  None of these will make the mixture smell or look any better.  Henna smells absolutely horrible!! If you know what greens smell like before adding the seasoning, that’s what henna smells like to the third power.  It is green in color and thick like paste.  My mixture includes EVOO, honey and some hair tea that I purchased from Chagrin Valley.  To help application, I use more liquid and oil to loosen it up.  I added the honey because I like the way honey and oil feels in my hair.  Honey is also known as a humectant, which draws moisture in.  I try not to use honey in the winter time because there is no moisture in the air and this can dry your hair out, I will get into humectants some other time.   Henna is very very very very (ok I think you get the point) messy!  You want to cover your floors, sink, vanity, what ever....Use things that you can throw away, or if you want to have a designated shirt to use only when you Henna that's fine to.  It also helps if you section your hair in fours and use large clips to hold the hair up off of your shoulders.




After washing my hair, I could feel the strength and smoothness from the treatment.  My hair was very shiny and soft after conditioning.  Before the Henna I planned on trimming my ends because they felt rough but after the treatment I decided to hold off for a couple more weeks.  I was able to run my fingers through my hair with ease and did I mention the shine!?!?  Days later I was still playing and twirling my hair, I love when my hair is manageable and soft.  Would I recommend Henna?  Yes I would, if you have the time and you want to give your hair a little extra attention and Love.  It will be worth the mess, smell and time.  Even if you are NOT NATURAL and you are having problems with breakage and shine, this just may be the answer for you.  Instead of wearing the Indian hair, you can have Indian hair.  All in all I think everyone who wants smooth, shiny, and strong hair can and will benefit from Henna.








I received my Henna in my October’s curlBox.  You can purchase Henna at various natural health food stores or Indian grocery stores.  The last Henna treatment I did was Rainbow Henna in Persian black which I purchased from Soaps and Scents at Mayfair Mall, Milwaukee for less than $7. 


I love Soaps and Scents; they have a variety of natural products from essential oils to soaps and body lotions.  Check them out!!  Let me know if you ever purchased anything from there and how did you like it?  Also let me know if you ever tried Henna and what was your recipe?  Hope this review was helpful, until next time….



Live for Love...







1 comment:

  1. Very enteresting you can use as a conditioner and to treat perm hair to?

    ReplyDelete