Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Humectants...



So let’s talk humectants….


 I’m going to try and make this short and sweet so that I don’t confuse anyone or confuse myself because I am just now getting the hang of it.  When I look up the definition of humectants, this is what I found:  Humectants are ingredients that attract water.  By applying these water-loving ingredients topically, they are able to draw water towards the skin.  Some examples of humectants that are beneficial to the skin are:  glycerin, hyaluronic acid, sodium PCA, urea, honey (my most favorite), sorbitol and lactic acid.  Hyaluronic acid is a very powerful humectant that can attract and hold 1,000 times its weight in water, and sodium PCA can attract and hold 250 times its weight.  Urea, sodium PCA, hyaluronic acid and lactic acid are also found naturally in our bodies and in our skin, so they are readily accepted and will not cause sensitivity.  Ok so now that we know the definition of humectants, let me share with you what I know.  High dew points 60 and up mean there is more moisture in the air.  Lower dew points mean the opposite.   I know you are thinking to yourself, but doesn't high dew points cause frizz?  Yes it does but this can be controlled with the right products.  OMG!!! Just had a flash back of my Jamaica hair, for 7 days I was a frizzy mess!! I had no idea what products would work in that type of humidity but who cares right it's JAMAICA!!!  


Ok where was I.....When you use humectants in your hair, you are drawing moisture from the air which helps to hydrate your hair.  Using humectants in the spring and summer when the dew points are higher, means your hair is happy and moisturized.  Now using humectants in the winter when the dew points are lower is a totally different story.  Since there is no moisture in the air in the winter months, using humectants will give you a reverse effect.  It will actually pull the moisture from your hair.  So all that water, deep conditioner and leave-in conditioner won’t stand a chance without sealing it with something heavier.  Ladies this is why our hair is much dryer in the winter.  This is why all those good products we use in the summer fail us in the winter.  It’s good to use thicker products in the winter like a butter or cream, as I mentioned in my previous post.  Next time you purchase products, take a quick look at the ingredients because they are very important to your hair.  I hope this helps because it sure helped me.  If you have any questions or comments please feel free to leave them at the bottom.  Don’t forget to rate, share and subscribe.  Until next time my lovely people…



Live for Love…

1 comment: